Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na means “Whether You know it or not”. The movie is probably watched by a lot already and reviewed a lot and hence I am not going to repeat the same thing. I will just summarize a few things in the name of the review, I am not a professional reviewer anyway:
1. It is a “Comedy Romance Comedy” genre movie and you will know why when you watch the movie, A love story of the following kind:
“What’s this” you ask? It is a table spoon full of sugar with christmas ornaments on it and an army of ants being attracted to the sweetness and transporting it to their food reserve. Still don’t know “What’s this”, then you gotta watch the movie.
2. I had mentioned a while back how Genelia can spring into acting in an annoying way, but she wasn’t as annoying in this movie. I guess the director had the say in it.
3. Imran Khan is to Aamir Khan as how Colin Hanks is to Tom Hanks. Even though Imran exhibits a lot of his uncle’s characteristics, mannerism and style in his acting he will do great if he chooses his movies well. He has got a good future in the Movies. It is hard to shed the family background, but Imran doesn’t need to as he seems to have potential.
4. AR Rahman rocks. I guess my Psychosongasticism will transfer from Om Zaara Re to Pappu cant dance:
Daughter puts her pretend phone on my ears and I say “Hello… What? Pappu cant dance?”.
Daughter brings her puppy doll to me to play with and I sing “Puppy cant dance …dance ..dance…!”
You get the idea.
Finally there is an equivalent to “Saroja Samaan Nikalo” in Hindi.
5. The best scene of the movie is when Naseeruddin Shah Laughs and Dances. This was very funny. Paresh Rawal had a meaty part and was funny as usual.
6. The funniest scene in the movie was the Climax. I have not seen anything like this before (wait, am I lying as in a Liar and another Liar ?) in a Romantic Comedy. It was fitting and orchestrated very well. All credit goes to the director for this.
7. The movie is of the calibre of “Dil Chahta Hai” not just because of a similar Screenplay, not just because of a similar story of relationships, not just because there is a character of an amazing painter, but because of all these reasons and how well the screenplay is handled. There was little bit of a drag in the second half but the movie quickly recovered and went full pace later.
Verdict: Winner. You gotta watch this movie.